Zaxcom wireless too noisy
Matt
2007-08-30 21:13:05 UTC
I've got my brand new Zaxcom wireless system. 4x TRX 900 AA and a RX
4900 (receiver rack).
I use the tx with some Countryman B6 - at least that what they are
bought for. But I am very disappointed with the noise floor I get.
Actually I can`t imagine that to be the famous Zaxcom sound quality
really. I was expecting nearly a dead silence backround noise level
but I`ve got a noise generator instead.

Is it the system, is it the B6? At the moment I don`t have any other
mic with the Zaxcom connector so I can`t compare.

The RX goes into a CS 208D and into a SD 744T. I`m listening off the
CS 208.

Any thoughts are appreciated (specially from Glenn if he don`t mind)

Regards, Matthias.
Michael Clark
2007-08-30 22:03:44 UTC
Post by Matt
I've got my brand new Zaxcom wireless system. 4x TRX 900 AA and a RX
4900 (receiver rack).
I use the tx with some Countryman B6 - at least that what they are
bought for. But I am very disappointed with the noise floor I get.
Actually I can`t imagine that to be the famous Zaxcom sound quality
really. I was expecting nearly a dead silence backround noise level
but I`ve got a noise generator instead.
Is it the system, is it the B6? At the moment I don`t have any other
mic with the Zaxcom connector so I can`t compare.
The RX goes into a CS 208D and into a SD 744T. I`m listening off the
CS 208.
Any thoughts are appreciated (specially from Glenn if he don`t mind)
Regards, Matthias.
Same issue here. I have the TR900AA with Stereo Rx and a B6 and a DPA.
It's the B6. For whatever reason Zaxcom decided to give me the
extremely low level B6 and I too was very disappointed in the sound
quality, and thought it was the system. I got a DPA lav, and
everything sounds fantastic. Ask for the higher level B6, the DPA, or
a Sanken. I was told I couldn't get a Sanken from the dealer, but I've
heard otherwise here.
Larry Fisher
2007-08-30 22:45:45 UTC
Hi Matthias,
B6's are not happy with more than about 4 Volts. They will Zener and
get very noisy and also have low output. With the mic in circuit,
check the voltage between ground and the audio lead; anything over 3.5
Volts may (will) be a problem. We had to use voltage divider networks
with older Lectro's since our supply was 5 Volts. That's also why the
servo input units have a 2 Volt setting just for B6/E6 mics. DPA's are
great mics but the B6 should also work well.
Larry F
Regards, Matthias.
g***@zaxcom.com
2007-08-31 00:06:20 UTC
The bias voltage on all Zaxcom wireless is 3.3V so I do not suspect
the bias voltage to be the problem.

Our dealer supplied the B6 so I do not know if is the red version
(High SPL). If so, this would account for the higher noise floor.
The B6 has worked well in the past so it should not be a problem now.
Matt please email me your phone number and I will call you tomorrow.
The dynamic range of the system is about 105dBu so the only noise
should be the self noise of the microphone.

Glenn
Michael Clark
Yep, mines a Red Band B6.
Gtrew
2007-08-31 01:37:43 UTC
The 4900 receiver module is designed to output line level. However, we
(Trew Audio) did receive a 4900 that was internally set to mic level
on one output of each receiver (there are two outputs for each
receiver in the event they are used as stereo receivers). Reseting the
internal switches to line level solved the noise issue. Anyway, if you
are having to send the outputs into a mic level input, there's your
problem. If so, a call to Zaxcom will inform you how to pop the top
and set the internal switches to line level.

Glen Trew
Yep, mines a Red Band B6.
Matt
2007-08-31 02:54:27 UTC
Post by Michael Clark
Post by g***@zaxcom.com
The bias voltage on all Zaxcom wireless is 3.3V so I do not suspect
the bias voltage to be the problem.
Our dealer supplied the B6 so I do not know if is the red version
(High SPL). If so, this would account for the higher noise floor.
The B6 has worked well in the past so it should not be a problem now.
Matt please email me your phone number and I will call you tomorrow.
The dynamic range of the system is about 105dBu so the only noise
should be the self noise of the microphone.
Glenn
Yep, mines a Red Band B6.
Thanks for all your response.

I`ve got a grey marked (standard output) B6 specially adapted to the
3.3V of the TRX (as Glenn mentioned).
The noise sounds like a white noise and in addition to that I`ve got
loads of rf-modulation that changes it sound and level depending how I
have the mic cable running. If the trx is attached to a body its
getting even worse.

The rack is putting out line level on right outs and mic level on left
outs by factory settting. One can change set if required. I am using
the line out (have tried using the mic lvel out just to see if it
makes any difference - it doesn`t)

Today I will get 2 Sanken COS11 that are treated with rf filters by
ambient (the official Zaxcom dealer for Germany). They are very
supportive and trying to help me with all effort. So I do hope that
this will help.

Cheers, Matthias
Matt
2007-08-31 10:59:24 UTC
Post by Michael Clark
Post by g***@zaxcom.com
[...]
one thing to add:

although the Zaxcom system works without a compander-system I get a
sound just like a compander. If I speak "check" or something similar
short and powerful into the B6 the noise floor goes down and comes
back right after.

Matthias
Larry Fisher
2007-08-31 11:45:49 UTC
Hi Matt,
Does breathing on the element cause the noise floor to change? Carl
mentioned years ago that the B6 diaphragm would respond to moisture
very quickly and cause a DC shift (audio) at almost a subsonic rate.
This was back when he was putting them in Pepsi at NAB so you could
hear the carbonation (Or was it Diet Coke?).
Larry F
Matthias
Matt
2007-08-31 12:34:52 UTC
Post by Matt
although the Zaxcom system works without a compander-system I get a
sound just like a compander. If I speak "check" or something similar
short and powerful into the B6 the noise floor goes down and comes
back right after.
Matthias
yep thats it. I just need to breath very subtle onto the B6 (out of
mouth, nose won`t do it) and I have a change of the noise.

At least on thing is answered ;-)

Matthias
Larry Fisher
Matthias
Gtrew
2007-08-31 22:00:08 UTC
Post by Larry Fisher
Hi Matt,
Does breathing on the element cause the noise floor to change? Carl
mentioned years ago that the B6 diaphragm would respond to moisture
very quickly and cause a DC shift (audio) at almost a subsonic rate.
This was back when he was putting them in Pepsi at NAB so you could
hear the carbonation (Or was it Diet Coke?).
Larry F
It was Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi). The sugar in Coke Classic tended to
gum things up a bit. But the demos I saw were done with the EMW (tram-
like) microphone.

I also liked Carl's demo of attaching one end of the EMW mic to a 15
pound sand bag (or was it 30 pounds) while talking into the mic.
Classic Countryman.

Glen Trew
Billy Sarokin
2007-09-02 18:14:49 UTC
Post by Matt
although the Zaxcom system works without a compander-system I get a
sound just like a compander. If I speak "check" or something similar
short and powerful into the B6 the noise floor goes down and comes
back right after.
Matthias- Hide quoted text -
That sounds like the sound of a limiter, not a compander. When you
say a sharp 'check' into the mic you are overloading the transmitter
and the limiter is kicking in to protect you. Try saying 'check' but
watching the display to make sure you are not pegging the meter. I've
been using B6's with my Zaxcoms for years but it is tricky. The B6
overloads fairly easily and has a fairly high noise floor. So if you
use the grey band version it will be very quiet, but if an actor yells
very loud it will overload the mic (not the Zaxcom or what ever radio
you are using, but the mic head itself). I usually use the red band
version which is minus 10db. That raises the noise floor of the mic
but it can handle higher noise levels without breaking up. For really
loud scenes I have a few blue band, minus 20, B6's. It has an even
higher self noise level but can handle the loudest noises without
breaking up. The red band mics are the best overall compromise. The
next step is to set the gain correctly on the Zaxcom transmitter. It
has a gain setting display from 0 to 36 in 2db increments. Depending
on what I know of the actor and the scene I usually start at a setting
between 12 and 18 on the display (though it's not unusual in very loud
scenes to set it between zero and 4). There is a lot of leeway, but
if you set it too high the limiter will kick in and if you set it too
low there will be more self noise (one of the great features of the
Zaxcom with the ifb system is the ability to adjust the transmitter
gain from the sound cart). The Zaxcom system is dead quiet. The hiss
you are hearing is the mic self noise or the noise of the preamp that
the receiver is plugged into (leave the system on and un plug the mic
from the transmitter, the noise will go away).

You can also turn off the limiter on the transmitter if you desire by
going into the command menu. That info is in the manual or you can
get it from the Zaxcom web site.

Billy Sarokin
Matt
2007-09-03 16:08:33 UTC
Post by Billy Sarokin
Post by Matt
[...]
Hi Billy,

I start from the bottom:

if I unplug the mic from the trx and leave the trx on the hiss isn`t
gone at all - it`s getting really noisy then. If I turn off the trx
the noise is gone, but thats no surprise.
I was playing around with levels. To me a 8-10dB level on the trx
seems o.k. for normal voice-level with my grey marked B6. So that is
pretty much equal to your 12-18 with a red version.
The receiver outputs a line level that goes in my CS 208. I have
levelled the preamps with the tone from the RX4900. These inputs are
dead silence. If I plug my boom hardwired into the mixer there is no
hiss or something at all.
If I do a A-B comparison hardwired boom and trx boom (with ambient UMP
48V) the wireless boom is way too noisy. That might be ok with a
street scene but not with an internal quiet room dialogue scene.
I have the limiter off. And I can check the display on the RX4900 that
becomes checkered if a signal is to high. So that is not the reason
for the compander-effect. But Larry had found the reason for that one
- as mentioned in a previous statement.
Maybe it all has to do with us (Europeans) using frequencies between
790-830 MHz whereas you (US) are using a much lower channel / freq?

Just to make it clear: I don`t wanna complain about my new product
just like this - I wanna find a solution for a problem. And I think a
forum like ramps offers the help from many people / users and I might
be able to fix things rather then just living with it or return the
gear.

Thanks, Matthias.
Billy Sarokin
2007-09-03 19:20:21 UTC
Hi Matthias,
Please don't apologize for complaining. Something is very wrong with
your system (especially if the wireless boom is noisy) that needs to
be fixed. My guess is, that if it is happening with all four of your
transmitters and receivers that it is a setup problem and not a faulty
unit (that would seem more likely if only one of the receivers was
exhibiting this behavior). How did you line up your receivers? How
did you set your Cooper board from the -20 tone outputted from the
receivers? My line up process is -20 from the receivers = 0 on the
Cameo which equals -20 on the Deva (same levels, just different
scales). I'm not sure what kind of headroom the Cooper board has, so
I don't know if you want to set -20 from the receiver to -20 on the
input of the board. Try setting it at -10 or -8 like the old Nagra
days
Post by Matt
The receiver outputs a line level that goes in my CS 208. I have
levelled the preamps with the tone from the RX4900. These inputs are
dead silence. If I plug my boom hardwired into the mixer there is no
hiss or something at all.
If I do a A-B comparison hardwired boom and trx boom (with ambient UMP
48V) the wireless boom is way too noisy.
I can't figure this out without seeing your set up. On my system the
wireless boom and hardwired mics are indistinguishable. The only time
there is noticable noise is when I am using the Audio Ltd HX Schoeps
transmitter. With that unit I hear both hiss and companding. My
Zaxcom wireless with a Schoeps (or Sennheiser) are as quiet as a
hardwired mic. If you are getting noticable noise that is not self
noise of the mic than something is wrong. Where are you located?
Have you spoken to a dealer or to Zaxcom? WIll you be anywhere near
New York? You are welcome to come see (and hear) my system.

That might be ok with a
Post by Matt
street scene but not with an internal quiet room dialogue scene.
I have the limiter off. And I can check the display on the RX4900 that
becomes checkered if a signal is to high. So that is not the reason
for the compander-effect. But Larry had found the reason for that one
- as mentioned in a previous statement.
Maybe it all has to do with us (Europeans) using frequencies between
790-830 MHz whereas you (US) are using a much lower channel / freq?
I'm in the 680 range. The frequency shouldn't make any difference.
There is a different mode for European use than for US use because the
European equivilent of the FCC does not allow the same bandwidth that
is allowed in the US. I am not familiar with the European mode,
though I had thought the differences were minimal. You might want to
try switching to US mode to see if that makes any difference though it
sounds like a call to your dealer or Zaxcom is in order.

I just re-read the thread. Any chance it is the switching issue that
Glen Trew mentioned? Did you email Glenn Sanders from Zaxcom your
phone number? Have you spoken? I know he is off to Europe for 2-3
weeks. Where are you located? Perhaps you can arrange a personal
visit. I'd love to hear the solution.

Billy Sarokin
cmassey
2007-09-03 20:12:57 UTC
Billy...on a different ZAX topic! Are you having any problem with
heat issues and the receivers? I received a call today from a fellow
with two of the latest units that lives in Phoenix...wanted to know if
I wanted to buy the system, as in heat, Phoenix type 105 degree days,
his system is totally not useable. Seems all shows OK, but no audio
is passing thru to his recorder. I pointed him to the many notes here
on RAMPS! We can get that kind of heat here in Dallas, but then again
a lot of my work is not here, but all over.

Since you are putting the ZAX stuff thru the ringer, just wondered
what your experiences were???

THANKS...cleve
cmassey
2007-09-03 20:31:54 UTC
My bad...I suspect you are using the rack mount receiver! This
apparent problem is with the smaller, camera mountable receiver!!!

Sorry....cleve
Billy Sarokin
2007-09-03 20:57:55 UTC
Hi Cleve,
On my cart I have a rack mount and 2 of the older receivers. They are
mounted on a black enclosed cart with little or no airspace. So far
no heat problems. The rack unit stays cool. The 2 studio receivers
can get pretty hot if there is no ventilation (like on my cart), but
no failures to date (on really bad days I have a small 12v fan that I
stick in the cart to exhaust the hot air). I also have an ENG
receiver which I usually use on inside the deva bag when I'm going
remote. I've had them all working in really hot weather in NY, NM and
Thailand. My guess is if they are enclosed too tightly they could
build up too much heat. Seems it should be an easy fix to re-mount
the receivers to get a little airflow around them.
Billy
Sorry....cleve
g***@zaxcom.com
2007-09-03 22:23:03 UTC
Dear Cleve,

The receivers in the RX4900 and the RX900 are the same design. There
are no known heat problems with either of these units. Please have
your friend call our service department for an RMA as I am sure we can
fix the problem right away.

The ENG receiver is designed to operate up to about 170 degrees F

Glenn
Matt
2007-09-04 18:56:22 UTC
Post by Matt
[...]

I`ve been in email contact with Glenn and have spoken with a
technician from Zaxcom on the phone.
Glenn is gonna get a B6 from ambient (where I bought the unit) to
check that out.

I`m located in Berlin, Germany. Although flights are cheap I`m not
really next to NYC - but thanks anyway.

I have put the 0dB from the RX to around -8dB on the CS. But that was
just to see where the working level of the RX is. On day work I might
bring up or down the level with the preamps as desired.

I have tried the EU and US mode. Apparently the noise isn`t that
prominent with the US mode - so I`m using the US one (bad guy me).

Tyler,

I wasn`t aware of any change on the noise floor when fiddling around
with cables and connectors but will try again.

Cheers, Matthias
Matt
2007-09-04 19:52:00 UTC
Post by Matt
[...]
aah - I could have shorten the whole story because if I take the
recorded files from the sd card of the trx I got all the mentioned but
unwanted sound effects.
So it hasn`t to do with the RX 4900 nor the CS 208.
It has to be the TRX.
I have ordered some DPA 4063 now and will see, if these mics (as
promised by Glenn) are perfect suitable for the Zaxcom transmitter.

Matthias
Matt
2007-09-17 10:49:05 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Matt
[...]
I`ve got the DPA 4063 and they do have a lower noise floor against the
B6 but the RF issue is still remaining. It differs from transmitter to
transmitter. On one TRX it sounds like a mix from hiss and a tone. If
you wanna ride levels one brings that up and down which is very
audible.
The combination TRX - Ambient UMP 48V supply - Schoeps CMIT is still
way to noisy for my taste. And again that varies from TRX to TRX.
Not very satisfying that to say the least!

Matthias
Matt
2007-09-20 07:38:48 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Matt
Post by Matt
[...]
I did a test: supplied the CMIT with Phantompower from the ambient UMP
but going hardwired - sounds just like my mixer sound. And I used an
audio 2040 with the vdb 48V supply - that sounded good as well. So
again it comes back to the Zaxcom TRX 900. Any ideas anyone?

Matthias
Matt
2007-09-20 13:18:34 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Matt
Post by Matt
Post by Matt
[...]
to keep things in balance:

I just got a call from Glenn at Zaxcom who is taking matters in his
hands now. He was offering great help and full support with all my
probs until I`m satisfied. They will run a test with one of my
TRX900AA to check out where the problems are coming from.
I will keep you posted after we are done and happy ...

Matthias
Ty Ford
2007-09-04 13:39:21 UTC
If I do a A-B comparison hardwired boom and trx boom (with ambient UMP 48V)
the wireless boom is way too noisy.
Check the mechanical connection at the transmitter XLR in a quiet place.
Wiggle the male XLR and see if the noise changes.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar

G. John Garrett, C.A.S
2007-12-02 05:41:54 UTC
Post by Matt
I've got my brand new Zaxcom wireless system. 4x TRX 900 AA and a RX
4900 (receiver rack).
I use the tx with some Countryman B6 - at least that what they are
bought for. But I am very disappointed with the noise floor I get.
Actually I can`t imagine that to be the famous Zaxcom sound quality
really. I was expecting nearly a dead silence backround noise level
but I`ve got a noise generator instead.
Is it the system, is it the B6? At the moment I don`t have any other
mic with the Zaxcom connector so I can`t compare.
The RX goes into a CS 208D and into a SD 744T. I`m listening off the
CS 208.
Any thoughts are appreciated (specially from Glenn if he don`t mind)
Regards, Matthias.
I have no way to know what the Zaxcom system is doing but the B6, by design has
to be a noisy mic. The smaller the diameter of the diaphragm, the lower the S/N
will be. That's a pretty small diaphragm. Maybe its masked in other systems and
the Zax is quiet enough that its obvious?

John
Matt
2007-12-02 18:34:11 UTC
Post by G. John Garrett, C.A.S
Post by Matt
[...]
I doubt that as I have the same probs with DPA 4063 (specially adapted
to the Zax 3V output).
The problem with the RF feeding back into the mic seems to be a
European frequency one (block 31) as all the US mixers are fine with
there units.
I have sent all my transmitters to ambient. They will do some tests
with a RF filter for my lav mics and will change some electronics
according to Zaxcom`s specs.

Matthias
Billy Sarokin
2007-12-02 22:22:14 UTC
Going back a few years I remember rfi problems got worse the higher
the frequency. Zaxcom came up with a cable fix to work with the
Schoeps that was very effective at block 21 (low 500 mHz) but not
effective in my block (680 mHz). Before Schoeps modified their mics I
had to build cable filters using different capacitor specs and leads
cut to almost zero length. I've never had any rfi issues with the B6,
but I never ran them with a transmtter higher than 692 mHz. Just to
check your syste, have you tried it using a newer Schoeps with the
built in rfi protection? That test might help you isolate the
problem.
Billy Sarokin
Matt
2007-12-03 09:10:37 UTC
Post by Billy Sarokin
Going back a few years I remember rfi problems got worse the higher
the frequency. Zaxcom came up with a cable fix to work with the
Schoeps that was very effective at block 21 (low 500 mHz) but not
effective in my block (680 mHz). Before Schoeps modified their mics I
had to build cable filters using different capacitor specs and leads
cut to almost zero length. I've never had any rfi issues with the B6,
but I never ran them with a transmtter higher than 692 mHz. Just to
check your syste, have you tried it using a newer Schoeps with the
built in rfi protection? That test might help you isolate the
problem.
Billy Sarokin
no RF probs on a CMIT Schoeps mic. but all lavs (B6, DPA, COS11) are
getting RF noise. hope that ambient finds a solution with filters.
If it was just a simple SNR issue one could keep the effects down by
having the lav gained decently. But all that noise comes up as well if
I go up with the gain setting on the trx.

Matthias
Billy Sarokin
2007-12-03 11:22:49 UTC
Post by Matt
no RF probs on a CMIT Schoeps mic. but all lavs (B6, DPA, COS11) are
getting RF noise. hope that ambient finds a solution with filters.
If it was just a simple SNR issue one could keep the effects down by
having the lav gained decently. But all that noise comes up as well if
I go up with the gain setting on the trx.
Matthias
That's peculiar because afik the Schoeps CMIT does NOT have the rfi
modifications, only the CMC6. But if I understand you correctly, if
you use a CMIT (with an external 48v supply I assume) you do not have
any noise problems? That would suggest that it is rfi getting into
the B6.
Billy Sarokin
2007-12-03 11:24:25 UTC
Sorry, didn't finish. ..
Or it would suggest self noise from the mics. Has Ambient measured
the noise floor? What does the noise sound like?
Matt
2007-12-03 11:50:26 UTC
Post by Billy Sarokin
Sorry, didn't finish. ..
Or it would suggest self noise from the mics. Has Ambient measured
the noise floor? What does the noise sound like?
R - there is no lineIn afaik. I have fed a TV-out signal into the TRX
by using a line - mic level pad. That sounded fine. Although it was
MTV so it was music and stuff all the time and no quiet background.

Billy - I was checking the CMIT with an ambient 48V supply into the
TRX 900AA. There was no rfi but an audible noise floor compared to
hardwire or compared to an audio 2040 with vdB 48V supply. So I
skipped using the trx for booming wireless.
I`m not sure if I have tested my CMC 6 with MK41 as well.

I`m pretty sure it`s not the noise floor of the lav because the rfi-
noise changes when changing the position of the lav-cable.
When I unplug the lav the rfi becomes very noticable and goes up and
down according to the gain setting on the trx.

The noise sounds like a dirty "fiep" around 800-1000Hz paired with a
standard noise (white noise).

I have sent some test files to Glenn and ambient but not from my lap.
So I can`t post these files again as my trx are with ambient right
now. maybe I can get the email back from ambient ...

Hope Billy doesn`t mind this: I was watching American Gangster in the
movies last week and I thought the dialogue track sounded great - and
that was recorded 98% with Zaxcom wireless. So it is working fine
under US conditions. I just hope there will be an "European" version
soon.

Matthias
€RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
2007-12-03 12:43:11 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Billy Sarokin
Sorry, didn't finish. ..
Or it would suggest self noise from the mics. Has Ambient measured
the noise floor? What does the noise sound like?
R - there is no lineIn afaik. I have fed a TV-out signal into the TRX
by using a line - mic level pad. That sounded fine. Although it was
MTV so it was music and stuff all the time and no quiet background.
Hmm, that's a pity, since you have to go mic in when you want to use
them for wireless booming..
So i do need a mixer with mic-out in front ?.
.I know looking at the dollar Euro rate that these units can be
interesting for us Europeans ( and RoHS compl i'll guess ? ) so i'm
rather interested and follow your ''problems'' with these units.
Post by Matt
Hope Billy doesn`t mind this: I was watching American Gangster in the
movies last week and I thought the dialogue track sounded great - and
that was recorded 98% with Zaxcom wireless. So it is working fine
under US conditions. I just hope there will be an "European" version
soon.
IMO, a very very tricky what -to-buy-reference, since you never know
what's done in post, or direct, especially with big US block busters.
Nothing to do with Zaxcom, but for me that counts for any gear/brand
that is pushed by ''user story's'' on usenet.

I also wonder ... are there more units sold in Germany , or Europe,
afayk, that are fine ?

Danke, R

E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/
Matt
2007-12-03 13:17:40 UTC
Post by €RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
Post by Matt
Hope Billy doesn`t mind this: I was watching American Gangster in the
movies last week and I thought the dialogue track sounded great - and
that was recorded 98% with Zaxcom wireless. So it is working fine
under US conditions. I just hope there will be an "European" version
soon.
IMO, a very very tricky what -to-buy-reference, since you never know
what's done in post, or direct, especially with big US block busters.
Nothing to do with Zaxcom, but for me that counts for any gear/brand
that is pushed by ''user story's'' on usenet.
I also wonder ... are there more units sold in Germany , or Europe,
afayk, that are fine ?
Danke, R
--
E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/
I`m not sure if we talking about the very same subject. The TRX 900
(AA) got a mic level input. So if you wanna use it for booming
wireless you need to supply a phantom powered mic with an external
device. That should rather have a mic level output so you can go
straight into the trx. with lineout you wanna have a pad to come down
from line to mic level.
That is also neccessary if you wanna feed TC into the trx - at least
with an ambient lockit or the 744T.

If you were talking about the receivers - they have both mic and
linelevel output.

I can`t say nothing about the RoHS license. There is no sign or
anything on it refering to that. But ambient is offering Zaxcom units
officially other than Lectrosonics (because they are not RoHS). So I
would assume yes they are conform to RoHS.

Matt
€RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
2007-12-03 14:40:29 UTC
Post by Matt
I`m not sure if we talking about the very same subject.
Yep, same subject, the TX part.
Post by Matt
If you were talking about the receivers - they have both mic and
linelevel output.
I can`t say nothing about the RoHS license. There is no sign or
anything on it refering to that. But ambient is offering Zaxcom units
officially other than Lectrosonics (because they are not RoHS). So I
would assume yes they are conform to RoHS.
I would also assume that, but normally mfg's advert and or announce
the fact if their gear is RoHS compliant in the specs, or on the
websites product page... And i cannot find it anywhere on the net,
while almost all brands *do* tell this..personally i wouldn't mind if
it is, or isn't, by the way..

E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/
Gtrew
2007-12-03 23:00:32 UTC
Hi Matt,

Are you using the 4900 receiver rack? If so, be sure they are set to
line level out, which could solve your problem.

Glen Trew
Matt
2007-12-04 16:14:35 UTC
Post by Larry Fisher
Hi Matt,
Are you using the 4900 receiver rack? If so, be sure they are set to
line level out, which could solve your problem.
Glen Trew
Hi Glen,

as stated in some earlier posts: I have the RX 4900 and use the line
out.

But that doesn`t have any influence on this matter: the rfi-noise is
on the files from the SD card already. So I can cut out all the
following gear having any effect on this problem.

Matt

Billy Sarokin
2007-12-03 14:24:04 UTC
Post by €RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
IMO, a very very tricky what -to-buy-reference, since you never know
what's done in post, or direct, especially with big US block busters.
Yes and no. You can never really tell on a shot by shot basis, but
unless it's a big EFX film where everything is looped you can get a
good general impression, Remember, they can reduce noise but they
can''t really improve the quality of the voice.

As for American Gangster almost everything went through a Zaxcom
wireless. The only exceptions were a few car scenes where I used the
Audio Ltd HX/Schoeps transmitter. Other than that, all booms and lavs
were Zaxcom.
Best,
Billy

Billy
€RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
2007-12-03 13:16:31 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by Billy Sarokin
Sorry, didn't finish. ..
Or it would suggest self noise from the mics. Has Ambient measured
the noise floor? What does the noise sound like?
R - there is no lineIn afaik.
By the way, the email address ( ***@yahoo.de ) bounces...can
you e-mail me off list ? ( mine works, i think...:) )

E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/
Matt
2007-12-03 15:27:47 UTC
Post by €RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
Post by Matt
Post by Billy Sarokin
Sorry, didn't finish. ..
Or it would suggest self noise from the mics. Has Ambient measured
the noise floor? What does the noise sound like?
R - there is no lineIn afaik.
you e-mail me off list ? ( mine works, i think...:) )
--
E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/
try mattboom add web dod de that will work. Your profile doesn`t come
up with anything ... Matthias
€RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
2007-12-03 10:48:45 UTC
Post by Matt
I doubt that as I have the same probs with DPA 4063 (specially adapted
to the Zax 3V output).
The problem with the RF feeding back into the mic seems to be a
European frequency one (block 31) as all the US mixers are fine with
there units.
I have sent all my transmitters to ambient. They will do some tests
with a RF filter for my lav mics and will change some electronics
according to Zaxcom`s specs.
Matthias
I wonder, did you try Sankens COS11 with these units ?

E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/
€RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
2007-12-03 10:56:02 UTC
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:48:45 +0100, ¤R¼..-¦°€•*¦*b€rt°•
Post by €RŒ..-Š°€•*Š*b€rt°•
I wonder, did you try Sankens COS11 with these units ?
Hmm, just read your prev posting,..are these units fine when you go
line in for example ?

E&OE Http://82.95.252.136/