DPA mics
arnaud derimay
2010-08-22 13:08:29 UTC
Hi I'm looking forward to buy 2 Dpa microphones. I'd like to use them
for car scenes, and hide on table.... to replace my old lectros cub,
some people told me to go with the 4071 with the
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=item&category=142&item=24098
accessories, do you have any suggestions please.
Thank you
Arno
rich
2010-08-23 07:46:32 UTC
i'd say go for 4061's as you can change the frequency response and
also add the boundary adaptors which are great for car scenes. the
4071 is too long to fit in the accessory you linked too.
i still like my cubs and think they may be a better bet for some car
scenes, especially with the cardioid pattern
and i think the cubs have better low end but are noisier (not by much)
but the dpa with adaptor are much brighter.
maskhat
2010-08-24 21:44:11 UTC
For information I bought the 4060 stereo set (SMK4060) which comes with
several accessories and the total price was much cheaper than what you
can buy separately.
XLR adaptor is quite useful if you use for a plant mic.

As for boundary layer mount, I played with several times but I found it
somewhat fake one.
Not so efficient compared to Schoeps BLM. Probably the sound character
comes from a plastic surface of this accessory, it is way much brighter.
Which is not a big problem if you think of using it in a car.

Masaki Hatsui
Axel Traun
2010-08-25 19:32:48 UTC
4060's are very hot. Using them on Talent along with my Lectro 400a or
SMa I have to turn Tx gain down to absolute min and they are still too
hot sometimes. With low frequency car engines they might produce
overload very quickly. Take 4061's ore even 4062's

Axel
maskhat
2010-08-25 21:20:54 UTC
Well there's a mystery in their adaptor DAD3056. On their diagram,
there's a 3k9 resister on pin 3 but actually there aren't. After some
discussion with Larry asking about gain setting of SM transmitter for
DPA, this is what I found out in their adaptor DAD3056. I put a 3k
resister on pin 3 as it indicated and the high gain problem is over.
Indeed, The 4060 have a higher sensitivity than others but because of
this reason, the noise floor is lower (less gain for preamp).

Masaki Hatsui
Larry Fisher
2010-08-26 15:07:44 UTC
DPA microphones are not "hot" in the usual sense that the element is
very sensitive. The DPA mics can be high or low current outputs
depending on the applied voltage and series resistance. They require
different wiring than other two wire mics because of their output
stage. They use a compound transistor output rather than the
conventional FET (field effect transistor). They have to be wired
according to figure 3 on this wiring guide.
http://www.lectrosonics.com/service/ServoBiasWiring.pdf

Also see FAQ# 109
http://www.lectrosonics.com/faq/faq1byref.php?id=109

which has a specific discussion about DPA. The DAD3056 is supposed to
have the resistor built in. We and DPA worked out the wiring of the
DAD3056 and it should be the correct adapter. When used with the
correct resistor or the adapter, they are very fine mics.
Best Regards,
Larry Fisher